2019 NTC Picnic
The Maine State Troopers Association will be hosting the 2019 National Troopers Coalition Picnic at Fort Williams- Cape Elizabeth in Maine on Thursday, September 12, 2019, Gates will open at 10:00 am and will go until 7:00 pm.
September 12th, 2018
10AM – 7PM
Fort Williams Park
1000 Shore Rd
Cape Elizabeth, ME 04107
Lobster, BBQ Chicken, Pulled Pork and all the sides to go with them.
Coffee, muffins and donuts /
Hamburgers with cheese /
Meatballs with sauce / Italian sausage w/peppers & onions / hot dogs / clam chowder / coleslaw / corn on the cob / tortellini salad /cucumber & tomato salad / potato chips / blueberry crumb cake & assorted cookies
1 MAINE LOBSTER PER PERSON
ADDITIONAL LOBSTERS CAN BE PURCHASED FOR $10
(Ocean farm raised mussels cooked in wine and garlic included)
MILLER/MILLER LIGHT/ SHIPYARD BEER/PEPSI SODA PRODUCTS
YOU MUST PRESENT STATE POLICE/HIGHWAY PATROL/STATE PATROL IDENTIFICATION UPON ENTRY INTO THE PICNIC GROUNDS
Evening Cruise in Portland Harbor on the evening of the 11th for an additional cost of $25, spouses welcome. Light food, drinks and music.
Mail checks to:
Maine State Troopers Association
126 Western Ave #165
Augusta, ME 04330
PARKING IS LIMITED
A FREE SHUTTLE BUS WILL PICK YOU UP AT RI-RAS IRISH PUB (72 COMMERCIAL ST. PORTLAND) STARTING AT 0945. THE SHUTTLE WILL BRING YOU BACK TO PORTLAND STARTING AT 1700 AND THE LAST BUS WILL BE AT 1900.
Hampton Inn Downtown – $259.00 per night, 30 day cut off
Holiday Inn by Bay – $199.00 per night with a 10-dollar parking fee 30-day cut off to make reservations
Comfort Inn South Portland- $89.00 per night under “Maine State Police”
Residence Inn by Marriott Portland- $209.00 Must book by July 12
Tables available for $10 each no fee to be a vendor at this event
One of the state’s most popular destinations
Cape Elizabeth is the home of Portland Head Light. Situated along the spectacular shores of Fort Williams Park, at 1000 Shore Road, the popular landmark is owned and managed by the Town of Cape Elizabeth, Maine. The Park is open year round from sunrise to sunset.
The Museum at Portland Head Light is contained within the former Keepers’ Quarters. The award winning Museum contains a number of lighthouse lenses and interpretative displays. Also on the site is a seasonal shop featuring fine lighthouse and Maine related gifts. For Museum visiting hours, click here.
The adjacent ninety acre Fort Williams Park offers picnic facilities, hiking opportunities, sports and recreation areas, historic structures, and unlimited ocean views. For park hours, map, and directions, see our contact page.
Fort Williams State Park
A 14-acre purchase near Portland Head Light in 1872 served to establish a sub-post to Fort Preble located at Spring Point. This fortification became known as Fort Williams on April 13, 1899, by order of Army Headquarters (General Order No. 17, Headquarters of the Army, Adjutant General’s Office, Washington, D.C.). It was named for Brevet Major General Seth Williams. By 1903, the fort had grown to 90.45 acres.
The Board of Fortifications, often called the Endicott Board, recommended a comprehensive program of new fortifications in 1885. Fort Williams was one of the results. It first test-fired its guns in 1898, shortly before the outbreak of the Spanish–American War, and was complete by 1906.
As built, the fort contained three batteries: Battery Sullivan (two 10-inch guns on disappearing carriages), Battery DeHart (three 10-inch disappearing guns), and Battery Hobart (one 6-inch Armstrong gun), all built between 1896 and 1898. Three other 2-gun batteries were added later: Battery Blair, 2 12-inch disappearing guns (1903); Battery Garesché, 2 6-inch disappearing guns (1906); and Battery Keyes, 2 3-inch rapid-firing guns (1906), the latter to guard a minefield. The remains of a wharf for loading mine planters can be seen near Battery Keyes. An underground bunker for the submarine mine system, later used in Cold War civil defense, is near Battery Hobart. Searchlights were also mounted at some of these batteries; the counterweight for a disappearing searchlight tower (it “disappeared” when folded down) remains on site.
Between 1900 and 1911, most of Fort Williams’ support buildings were constructed, including enlisted barracks, non-commissioned officers’ quarters, commissioned officers’ quarters (Officers’ Row), hospital, gymnasium, post exchange, bakery, abattoir, commissary, laundry, chapel, fire station, Fort headquarters, and other buildings including garages and storage sheds. Infrastructure included an electrical substation, a bunkered telephone switchboard, and pumps and underground storage tanks for gasoline and fuel oil. Recreational facilities included a baseball diamond with concrete bleachers, and clubs (the officers’ club utilized the already existing Goddard mansion, purchased by the government and added to the property).
In 1913, the 6-inch Armstrong gun of Battery Hobart was removed and transferred to Hawaii.
After proposals ranging from a Coastal Science Park to low-income housing, the Cape Elizabeth Town Council designated Fort Williams on July 23, 1979, as Fort Williams Park. The park has been maintained for residents and non-residents for no fee. Recreational facilities include two tennis courts, a basketball court, baseball diamond, a course for physical fitness, picnic tables and cookout facilities, a picnic shelter, a children’s garden, and recreational opportunities for walking, running, and dog walking. All visitors to Portland Head Light pass through the park, adding to its visibility. The Beach to Beacon 10K is one of the park’s largest events of the year.